TMC Marine is a leading international marine consultancy. They have been providing advice and support to the marine industry since 1979.
TMC Marine needed to modernise their current infrastructure to improve performance and availability, capable and appropriate for the future needs of the business.
Frontier Cloud Consulting: Infrastructure refresh, design, deployment and support
- Established a highly flexible, scalable and available architecture
- Facilitated on-going ease of management and operational efficiency with the ability to accommodate future business demands on IT
- Enhanced user experience
TMC Marine provides high quality, technical investigation and surveying services to the marine insurance, ship owning and legal professions.
TMC Marine’s IT operations were running on Microsoft Small Business Server. As the firm expanded and the data acquired with every project continued to grow, they were starting to outgrow this system. The hardware was also reaching the end of its life and storage resources were rapidly approaching capacity. Moreover, users operating from offices in London, Singapore, Shanghai, Australia and the USA presented a need for better connectivity and a challenge to reduce latency. It was time for a rethink and a refresh.
Frontier Technology recommended migration towards a more flexible ‘virtualised’ environment with a fast and high capacity storage platform plus an upgrade from the Small Business Server to several of its individual components.
The proposed solution, designed to be very cost effective, provided high quality architecture based on technologies from acknowledged leaders in their fields. This provided all of the computing power the systems required plus improved high-availability and some overhead to grow into. It also included a simple means to scale the solution should further resources be required in due course.
The infrastructure refresh project included the deployment of the following:
- VMware Virtualised Server Platform
- EMC Shared Storage Platform
- Microsoft Application Servers
- Frontier Technology Deployment and Migration Services
- Flexibility and scalability for future possibilities
The migration from Microsoft Small Business Server to its individual components required careful planning to remove any negative impact on users and to ensure a successful conclusion to the project within the agreed budget and timescales.
This included the migration from Small Business Server to an MS Active Directory based environment with Domain Controllers, file system data and MS Exchange services on individual virtual servers deployed across a HA (High Availability) architecture.
After the timely deployment of the project, TMC Marine are now benefitting from it on two perspectives
- Technical Perspective
- A robust infrastructure after refreshing aging server systems
- Resilience after migrating to a virtual server platform
- Flexibility after migrating from current infrastructure to an individual server model supporting each specific application requirement suitable for the size of their businesses
- Two tier storage: high performance for applications that need it, plus low cost, high capacity to support the foreseeable future storage needs
- Business Perspective
- Improved end user experience
- Improved business agility
- Reduced support time
- Improved systems management
- Provided a platform on which a robust and cost effective business continuity strategy can be deployed in due course
Frontier Technology is a specialist provider of IT infrastructure solutions with a particular emphasis on assisting clients with server, storage, network and access infrastructure plus development of business continuity strategy. As well as assisting clients deploy and run their own primary and business continuity platforms, Frontier Technology operates similar private cloud based managed services on behalf of many clients, so we are also a user of our own cloud solutions.
“Frontier Technology was instrumental in creating an infrastructure that embraces our current challenges whilst serving as a platform for future growth. Their consultative and vendor-agnostic approach, recommending only the required and appropriate solutions, made our investment all worth it.” -Ken Shortall, Director